There are a number of us on the forum who reside and work across different countries within the Asia Pacific basin. For people in regional roles this does create any number of challenging situations as we endeavour learn and gain experience working with different cultures.
Some of the issues that we are trying to tackle being:
- Basic understanding of local culture and how this fits with global culture often the bailiwick of multi-nationals
- Lack of in-depth knowledge of language and in most instances no knowledge as all
- Differing religions which do have an impact of the daily work pattern
- More mature organisations endeavouring to fast track performance management practice across countries that have little focus or experience with the concepts
- The impact of gender in some locations
- Bringing western business models into Asia
- Understanding IR and OH&S laws and practices and overcoming what some of us who sit in the west see as less than desirable practices
The list goes on and on.
I thought it might be a good idea to set up a forum for us to share ideas, experiences (good and bad) and to provide support to one another as we endeavour to tackle this significant and rewarding challenge.