This is from Adair on Leadership, a book that summarises the thinking of John Adair.
Some tips in handling appraisals:
- Have all necessary data available
- Put the other person at ease
- Control pace and direction of the interview
- Listen… listen… listen
- Avoid destructive criticism (encourage self-criticism)
- Review performance systematically
- Discuss future action
- Discuss potential/aspirations
- Identify training/development required
- Avoid common pitfalls, such as:
- dominating the conversation
- making promises unlikely to be kept
- expecting dramatic changes overnight
- blaming those not present.